Monday 4 February 2013

Urban Decay Glinda Palette Review





































Urban Decay - The Glinda Palette - £35.00 - Debenhams - here 

Hi Ladies, Sorry for the picture heavy post, today i'm sharing with you one of the new limited edition palettes from Urban Decay. The new palette is from the Wizard of Oz Palette range which has launched due to the new movie release 'Oz The Great and Powerful' from Disney.

What it is?
Urban Decay have collaborated with Disney to create two limited edition palettes, one is the Glinda Palette which i'm showing you and one is the Theodora palette, the Glinda Palette is the palette based around the 'Good Witch' in the movie - Michelle Williams and the Theodora Palette is the palette based around the 'Bad Witch' in the movie which in this case is Mila Kunis. The reason I decided to pick up this version of the palette was because the colors just stood out to me much more and I thought they were much more wearable but unique compared to the browns and neutral shades within the Theodora Palette. These were actually released in the UK (exclusively to Debenhams) last Monday and I received mine on Saturday and couldn't wait to share it with you. The palette is gorgeous and I know I've been a bit snap happy with this post but I just wanted to try and show you just how beautiful it really is.

What do you get?
I'm really impressed with this palette so far and actually think it's really good value for money. All in all you get 6 full size eye shadow pans but 2 of the 6 are actually dual eye shadows, meaning that you actually get the chance to try 8 new shades. Every single eye-shadow is completely brand new and exclusive to the palette and it's actually the first Urban Decay offering that includes the duo-shades. You get the eye shadows, the custom 'build your own palette', the purple or rock star 24/7 glide-on eye pencil and a Glinda supersaturated high-gloss lip color. So you pretty much have everything to create a really lovely look. Something else that is really nice about this palette is the fact you get a 'get the look' card with Michelle Williams finished looked on one side and then a step by step guide on the other side which I think is a really nice touch.

Packaging
The first thing that's cool about this palette is the packaging, Urban Decay always come up with interesting packaging and this is no exception. The palette is one of their custom 'build your own' palettes, which means all of the eyeshadows can be popped in and out and you can choose the colours you want to include and move them around. The packaging is therefore very sturdy and in terms of material I would say it's the same sort of thing as the Naked 2 palette, which means that it's perfect for travelling. It also comes with a huge mirror which is always a really nice feature. The next amazing thing about the packaging is the design, it's been created so it looks very 'Good witch' like and I love that it looks like a fantasy or fairytale palette, I definately think Urban Decay got it right with the design of this palette.

Eye shadows
The eye shadows in this palette are pretty good, I am personally a massive fan of Urban Decay, I think their eye shadows are second to none and they are extremely creamy and pigmented. They are so easy to work with and even if you're a complete eye shadow novice like me you can work with them and create a really pretty look. All of the eye shadows within this palette are actually really pigmented and good and I wouldn't actually say that any of the shades really let you down or aren't very good. The only problem I have had is with the gold shade of Oz just because it has a lot of fall out but apart from that I think all the shades are pretty damn good. Also another cute feature of the palette is the names of each eye shadow has a name that really fits in with the Oz palette theme, we have names such as Tornado, Aura, Magic, Illusion, Oz and South and I think little details like that really make Urban Decay palettes so well thought out and special

Tornado - The first shade you get within this palette is a bright purple, it's a gorgeous bright purple that has a really nice sheen to it but is without sparkle and big chunks of glitter. This is one of my favourite shades, it's the only really bright or overpowering shade and I think it's gorgeous. When swatched it just gives this amazing pigmentation straight away, it's a strong color but very flattering too. It's a very creamy shade and very easy to use and blend. It does remind me a little of the shade 'Vice' from the Urban Decay Vice Palette but I think 'Vice' is a little brighter and a little bit lighter too.

Aura - Aura is the first of the duo-shades included in this palette and at first I didn't know how i'd feel about it. If you look at this shade in the pan it looks quite boring and looks like it wouldn't be very highly pigmented. But I was completely wrong with that ausumption. One side of Aura is a bluey-white shade, it's so unusual but makes the most gorgeous inner-corner highlight shade, it's a shade that is definately a duo-chrome. The second shade in Aura is a white shade that almost has a peachy pink duo-chrome to it, again it would make a lovely highlight color and these shades are so nice and individual. They aren't the most pigmented but I think they are better off this way and just look really gorgeous especially when they catch the light.

Magic - Magic is a really nice neutral pink color that has subtle gold shimmer that allows it to be more flattering on the eyes that some other pinks I've tried. It's again a really creamy shade but I would say that it can be a little bit powdery to work with when you're trying to blend it out. This shade doesn't have a super shimmery finish but doesn't have a completely matte finish either so is somewhere in between. This is such an individual shade, I normally find pinks to be really frosty and light or really fuschia and bright so this is a lovely in between shade that I haven't really seen a lot before.

Illusion - Illusion wasn't really one of the shades I was excited about in the palette, I'd seen a few reviews online and it didn't stand out for me or make me really want to try out the palette but this shade really surprised me. It's a peachy, champagne color, it has really nice warm undertones running through it and also has a lovely sheen running through it especially when the light catches it. I think this is one of the most wearable colors within this palette and I quite like applying this to the lid with a bit of something in the crease, it looks really pretty but super natural. This shade also pairs gorgeously with magic.

Oz - The next shade is Oz, this is the second duo-shade in the palette and probably my favourite of the two you get. It is so cool and I would probably say the true star of the palette. Within Oz you get a bright silver shade that is just gorgeous, it's amazingly pigmented, the most gorgeous silver i've probably ever seen and so creamy. This is a colour that is going to work so well on nights out because it just stays but opens the eye ridiculously, it is perfect and everything i've ever wanted from a silver shade. The second half of Oz is a gold shade, this isn't as pigmented and a little harder to work with. It's a yellowy gold with big chunks of silver glitter running through it and sometimes it's quite hard to work with this. The reason being is the massive fall out problems, this just ends up half way down your face and you couldn't really use this all over the lid because it just wouldn't stay even if you did use a primer. I really love the colour though and the first half of Oz really does make up for it.

South - The last shade in this palette is my favourite, I really didn't think I would love this shade as much as I do but I just can't get enough of it, I think this will be the shade that gets the most use from me, it's just such a simple shade but works amazingly. It looks really great with my brown eyes too. This is a taupe colour which is a mix of greay and brown, but it's just so flattering, it again has a lovely sheen and is one of the most creamy and pigmented eyeshadows ever. I seriously love it.

Value for money
I think when you're purchasing any palette whether it's from Urban Decay or not you want to know if the palette is worth the money and all I can say is YES for this one! Firstly your getting a build your own palette that retails at £14.00 with a free eye shadow. Then you're getting 5 eye shadows at £14.00 each that equals £84.00 already. You then get a Super Saturated Lip Pencil worth another £14.00, bringing the total too £98.00 and you then get a half sized 24/7 Glide on eyeliner worth another £7.00 making this palette worth £105.00 without even considering the fact it's nicer packaging and is a limited edition palette.

Overall
I love this palette, in all fairness I'm a big fan of all of Urban Decay's palette's but I think i'm going to get a huge amount of wear out of this one in particular. All of the shades are so unique but so beautiful and it's such a feminine palette, I just really enjoy it and I think the shades are all so lovely. I would definately recommend this palette and I do think it's really good value for money (with over £100 worth of value) but as with all Urban decay palettes make sure to do your research and see if the shades are really for you before you go out and commit. Let me know if you need any more information in the comments section and i'm really sorry for the ridiculously long review! Just had way too much too say! Also if anybody wants to see some swatches or eye looks let me know and i'll try and get a post up tomorrow with all of the swatches and stuff like that for you! xxx

SHARE:

43 comments

  1. I'm absolutely in love with the new OZ palette, i couldn't resist picking them both up last week :D

    Sophia Meola | A Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia!! :) can't wait too see your thoughts on both the palettes hun! Xxxx

      Delete
  2. This palette looks gorgeous!! Think it's definitely going on my birthday wish list :)

    Nicola xo

    babblesaboutbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is absolutely gorgeous! :) glad you like it, it'll be such a lovely birthday present too! Xxx

      Delete
  3. This ones my fave out of the two. Really jealous you have this its so pretty.

    Kate @ sparkle dust xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks kate! Oh gosh hopefully you can pick it up at some point :) xxx

      Delete
  4. What a great post :) - this is the palette I'm going to picking up for sure!

    India Jewel Beauty Blog - Beauty, lifestyle & fashion too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you India! :) aww yay, I'll look forward to hearing what you think! :) xxxx

      Delete
  5. Wow this palette looks ah-mazing!! Im loving all of those colours and the packaging. :)
    When you said about all of the prices added together i was like what wow.. you really are getting a great bargain when you buy this!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Sara :) yaaaay, it's just beautiful isn't it? I love it! Haha yes I liked doing that maths made me feel better for buying it then ;) if you think of it like that its a must have! :) thanks for the comment hun! Xxx

      Delete
  6. omg!! i love all the pigments. i want them so bad:)


    ReplyDelete
  7. This palette looks so cool ! I'm a little bit broken right now but I think I will add it to my wishlist. The colour are so gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww yeah do it! I think they're meant to be limited edition but I'm sure they'll be around and about for a while so definitely take a look if you can! :) xxx

      Delete
  8. This is an amazing review! I picked up the Theodora one and I'm doing a review on that tomorrow. The Glinda one looks beautiful, I especially love the look of Aura. Not many of the other colours are my kinda thing (hence choosing Theodora) but I do love the lip colour!

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Can't wait too see your review of Theodora, I am tempted by it but I think buying both would be a little bit excessive haha! Can't
      Wait to hear your thoughts though! :) xxx

      Delete
  9. First review I've seen and I didn't think I'd fancy either of these but WOW I really do after reading your review!! Going straight on my "to buy" list :)
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Angie! That's really made me smile :) definitely a really good buy though! Let me know if you pick it up :) xxx

      Delete
  10. Haha yep you sure have!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just gorgeous!! SUCH a good post too, really needed some info on this palette and you have it all here! Great post! :)

    HannahMarieBeauty.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much hannah! :) aww haha that's why the post's so long haha I had to try and fit everything in somewhere! thanks hun :) xxx

      Delete
  12. Stopping by from the blog hop...Hello from your newest followers! Would SO love a follow in return www.sugaraunts.com :) Looking forward to reading your posts!
    Colleen at Sugar Aunts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh thanks hun :) yeah will sure look at your blog too! xxx

      Delete
  13. Hello, thanks for stopping by, and the follow. All the shadows are beautiful, but the Magic one is my favorite.
    Your newest (GFC) follower,
    Angie G.
    http://mycraftycollections.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hii :) aww no problem, I know magic is such an individual shade :) everyone seems to be really loving them! thanks for the follow too hun xxx

      Delete
  14. THANKS FOR THE FOLLOW! Following you right back! Beautiful shades! Makes me want to try something new!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww no problem :) i love them too, I know! I would never have worn these colors but since owning this palette I love them, wearing brown's seems boring now haha! xxx

      Delete
  15. Wow they are gorgeous colours. I found your blog from the blog hop :) if you want to check mine out its tean-mauricette.blogspot.com xxx thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you Teri :) they are really gorgeous! :) I will do hun, thanks for the follow :) xxx

      Delete
  16. Oh i think ive fallen in love with this pallete, they are simply stunning colours!! Especailly the purple.
    On another note, Im very excited for this film though!
    xxx
    http://heroineinheels.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks laura :) i know, such beautiful colors and so different too! Oh yeah I forgot about that haha I bet it's going to be sooo good! :) xxx

      Delete
  17. Fabulous , I WANT it

    great post

    xoxox

    judith

    http://greatlittlefinds.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks fab.... On my wish list for next month now :) Hurry Up Payday !!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks emma! :) hope payday gets to you really quickly! :) xx

      Delete
  19. oh wow such beautiful colors!

    http://thisgirlloveschic.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay thanks Paulina! They are soo nice :) love them!! Xxx

      Delete
  20. I wasn't a great fan when I first saw these palettes but the more I see this Glinda one, the more I want it!!! Love your pictures, such beautiful colours xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww I know! I wasn't too sure but I kept seeing pictures and then I fell in love haha! Thanks Claudia! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are so beautiful colour...unhappily in germany we dont have Urban Decay prodocts...You have a great Blog!

    ps: Im sorry for my bad english^^

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg they look so high quality and pigmented, I wanna play with them x :)

    http://holaflo.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a pretty palette xx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate and read every single one of my comments, check back too because I reply to every single one, I figure you took the time to write me a comment so I should take the time to reply! (although it sometimes takes me a few days) if you have any specific enquiries or want to reach me sooner with a question feel free to email me gemmabullock@icloud.com. Thank you so much for your support x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Gem Bullock
Blogger Templates made by pipdig